New updated model features handset with USB socket and dual-saddle (accepts both Vixen-type & Losmandy-type saddles).
The HEQ5 Pro mount is considered by many to be Sky-Watcher’s ‘sweet spot’. A mount costing less than SGD$2,500 with an impressive combination of ease-of-use, stability and tracking performance. It is probably the mount most recommended to someone wanting to begin astrophotography.
The SynScan computerised handset’s two-line illuminated LCD screen is easy to read and navigate. One-star, two-star and three-stars alignment routines are available and are easy to use. All work but three-star alignment is the ‘gold standard’ because it corrects for cone error. Once aligned, SynScan Go-To will automatically place objects in the eyepiece field-of-view wherever they are in the sky. You can also control the mount from a laptop or desktop PC.
Similar to Sky-Watcher’s larger EQ6 Pro, the HEQ5’s counterweight shaft slides neatly into the body of the mount for easy storage and transportation. It also has a built-in polar alignment scope which makes it easier to align the polar axis of the mount to the Earth’s axis of rotation (whilst not strictly necessary for Go-To pointing accuracy, tracking is improved if the mount is polar-aligned).
- Payload capacity: 11kg for imaging, 15kg for visual.
- Dual-saddle accepts both Vixen-type & Losmandy-type saddles.
- Handset has USB socket for control via a laptop or desktop PC.
- Positioning Accuracy up to 1 arc minute. Accuracy enhanced by software collimation error (mount mechanical error) compensation.
- Stepper motors with 1.8° step angle and 64 micro steps driven.
- Slewing speed up to 3.4°/sec (800X).
- ST-4 Auto Guider Interface for astro-photography.
- Guiding speed selectable from 0.25X, 0.50X, 0.75X, or 1X.
- Object database containing complete M, NGC, and IC catalogues.
- Minimal vibration for steady long-exposure photography.
- Mount weighs 10kg without counterweights.
- 1.75″ steel tripod 5.6kg
- 35cm tall without tripod.