- If you have a bigger budget, we strongly recommend the deluxe model HERE
- Click HERE to check if your smartphone model is compatible with StarSense Explorer App
- StarSense Explorer App is only workable at NIGHT and when the night sky is NOT cloudy
- The telescope may be used in full manual mode without smartphone or app if desired
- After-sales support is available via WhatsApp or Telegram to ensure you know how to use the product
- Optional on-site guidance by McGill Staff is available @$30 per trip. Surcharge applies for remote areas based on postal code. Call for details.
AWARD-WINNING MODEL, A GAMECHANGER IN APP-ASSISTED ASTRONOMY EQUIPMENT
With the Celestron StarSense Explorer (SSE) LT 80AZ 80mm f/11 AZ Refractor Telescope, exploring the wonders of the universe is as simple as 1-2-3:
1. Dock your smartphone
2. Launch the StarSense Explorer smartphone app
3. Observe the moon, planets, stars, and more
This innovative integration of smartphone and telescope offers beginner astronomers a fast and (more importantly) easy way to discover what’s up in the night sky and where to view it. Utilizing similar alignment technology that satellites use when they move out of position, the StarSense Explorer app uses your phone’s camera to stream a constant series of images and compare them to an internal database to identify the starfield and determine its location.
This “Lost in Space Algorithm” is more precise than typical astronomy apps and does not require a cell signal to work—so you can use it even when you’re far off the grid. A holder on the mount, aligned with the telescope, ensures that where the phone is pointed is the same as where the scope is, so that when you follow the onscreen directions to find the object of interest and you look through the eyepiece, it will be there.
Optically, the 80mm objective lens offers clear views of the lunar surface and planetary features with accurate color representation and little field curvature at the edges of the view. Supporting the telescope and StarSense holder is a basic manual yoke mount that lets you move the telescope quickly and easily according to the app’s direction to find your object of interest.
A two-section aluminum tripod provides a wide adjustable height to accommodate a variety of viewing positions and users, while being highly portable for when you have to carry it to remote viewing locations.
As seen in the picture, this LT 80AZ is the “long type” refractor spanning close to 1m, although it is pretty lightweight and not exactly bulky. The entire setup, with the tripod, is less than 5kg and can be carried easily by an adult.
Designed as a complete observation rig, Celestron includes a variety of accessories to get you viewing right out of the box. In addition to the telescope, mount, and tripod, you also get two eyepieces that provide you with high and low magnifications, a Barlow lens that effectively doubles the power of each eyepiece—essentially giving you four magnification choices—plus a 90° diagonal that not only places your head in a comfortable viewing position when the scope is pointed directly overhead but also corrects the view so you can use the telescope as a conventional spotting scope.
- Download StarSense Explorer app from the Google Play (Android) store or App Store (iPhone)
- Place an Android smartphone or iPhone in the included StarSense Explorer dock attached to, and aligned with, the optical tube
- 2-minute procedure to align the phone with the telescope
- App generates a list of celestial objects currently visible
- Select the object to view and arrows appear onscreen, guiding the user as they move the telescope
- When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green
- The StarSense app utilizes a “Lost in Space Algorithm” (LISA) to accurately calculate the current location and orientation by using the phone’s GPS data, gyroscopic input, and camera to map the night sky and compare it to the app’s database to accurately align and orient the scope and determine what is visible overhead
- App is self-contained; no cell signal required for use far off the grid
- Android 7.1.2 and higher manufactured in 2016 and later, with camera, gyro, and accelerometer
- iPhone 6 and newer
In the Box
- Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 80AZ 80mm f/11 AZ Refractor Telescope
- Mount & Tripod Assembly
- StarSense Explorer Phone Dock
- 90° Erect-Image Diagonal
- 1.25″ 25mm Eyepiece
- 1.25″ 10mm Eyepiece
- 2x Barlow Lens
- StarPointer Finderscope
Why do you need to get a telescope from a specialist telescope supplier such as McGill and not from any e-commerce website
McGill offers you a hassle-free shopping experience. You do not have to worry about goods arriving damaged or missing certain parts. It can be a stressing experience to return a faulty telescope, especially if it is bulky. McGill takes care of everything for you. We also offer a 1-Year to 3-Year Warranty (depending on product type and brand) for peace of mind, especially for costly items.
It is also normal to encounter issues during setup, such as not able to view images, certain parts are not working, etc. These issues are usually caused by the user due to lack of proper knowledge, and there is nothing wrong with the product. Fortunately most of the issues can be resolved by contacting McGill via a phone call or WhatsApp/Telegram. We also offer you various tips.
Therefore you do not enjoy any special service or advantage if you order from a general e-commerce website in which some sellers do not even know what they sell!
Views of the Moon captured with this LT 80AZ telescope:
Optical Tube Assembly
- 80mm f/11 aperture to view the moon, planets, and constellations
- Long 900mm focal length produces a high magnification potential for detailed observations
- Refractor design requires very little maintenance by the user or collimation over time
- Anti-reflection fully coated glass optics maximize light transmission through the light path to ensure bright and clear views with improved resolution
- Resolution: 1.74 arcsec, Rayleigh; 1.45 arcsec, Dawes
- Reliable single-speed rack-and-pinion focuser
- Standard 1.25″ holder accepts the most common size eyepieces and accessories, including the two eyepieces and Barlow lens in this kit
Mount and Tripod
- Manual alt-azimuth mount design is simple to set up and move by hand
- Altitude lock with large adjustment knob
- Simple and sturdy yoke mounting offers stability and reduced vibration
- Adjustable-height aluminum tripod accommodates a variety of users and observing positions
- Maximum height of 52″ (132cm) including mount
- Sturdy 1.25″ diameter legs
- Center tray holds accessories such as eyepieces and filters
Click HERE for related manuals and useful tips.
- 90° erect-image diagonal corrects view to use the telescope as a conventional spotting scope while providing a comfortable viewing angle, especially when the scope is aimed overhead
- 25mm eyepiece produces a low 36x power for observing the moon, planets, deep-sky objects, and constellations
- 10mm high-magnification eyepiece yields 90x power for detailed views of the lunar surface and planetary features
- 2x Barlow lens effectively doubles the magnification of any 1.25″ eyepiece installed on it without affecting eye relief, making it more comfortable to view at high power
- Unmagnified StarPointer finderscope places a simple red dot in the field of view to make alignment and star hopping navigation faster and easier